Our School » School Dog
Our school dog Hero
· Improved behaviour and concentration, reduced stress and improved self-esteem.
· Encouraging expression and participation in more withdrawn children.
· Fostering a sense of responsibility.
· Increasing enthusiasm for and enjoyment of animals which will motivate the children to think and learn.
· Teaching children to nurture and respect life.
· Helping children build confidence and providing comfort when needed
· Helping children who suffer any form of loss or who are upset in any way and in need of calm, comfort and space before being able to tell an adult what has upset them.
· A calming effect on pupils, particularly those with behavioural or learning needs.
Hero will also be available to work with children and adults who have had bad experiences with dogs or other animals. With parental permission, over a period of time children who react fearfully to dogs will be supported in approaching, handling and gaining confidence in managing their fear.
Hero’s main place of residence will be the Headteacher’s office, which is secure and separate from the classrooms however children will be able to interact with her under strict supervision at certain times of the day/week as long as parental permission has been given. Hero will not be given access to other visitors without supervision and mutual consent so please do ask before approaching her. There will also continue to be no other dogs allowed on site.
I chose Hero, who is a black Labrador, as her breed is known to be child friendly, gentle mannered, demonstrably affectionate and empathetic yet sensitive plus this breed also has an outstanding trainability. Labradors have short hair and so there is a reduced risk of allergic reaction too.
We understand that it is not possible for all families to have a family dog and therefore we hope that this is an opportunity for children to have a “share” in a dog, gain from a relationship and contact on a regular basis and have a friend for life.
- Annual Report & Financial Statements
- British Values
- Funding Agreement
- Headteacher's Welcome
- Articles of Association
- Ofsted Inspection Information
- Ofsted Report
- Our Curriculum
- Our Performance
- Our School Council
- Our School Day
- Our Staff
- Our Mission & Gotherington 'GOALS'
- Pupil Premium
- Term dates and School Calendar
- Staff Login
- Keeping Children Safe in Gotherington
- Our School and Village History
- School Dog
- Home Learning Packs
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Catch-up Premium
- Emotional Health and Well being at Gotherington
- School Uniform